Who Is AdvisorEngine:
We believe that the future of financial advice is personal, scientific and beautiful – these three ideals drive everything that we do.
AdvisorEngine is a leading wealth management fintech platform that creates a unified experience across financial advisors, investors, and business management personnel. Our wealth management platform enables financial advisors to deliver an engaging, personalized client experience and to operate at scale through smart automation.
Our team is made up of designers, enterprise technologists, data scientists, futurists, and business builders. We are based in NYC and Raleigh, NC. If you love data and are driven to create the future of financial advice, we’d love to hear from you.
AdvisorEngine is looking for a Senior Development Manager who will have a broad range of responsibilities including technical staff personnel management, agile process management oversight, technical delivery management, and project leadership and reporting. This position is a technical management position requiring a person to lead and mentor staff at the personnel and technical levels. The manager will be in charge of multiple teams with Java, PHP, Scala, and React as the main technologies. The candidate must possess a solid development background in the specific technology areas with primary emphasis on Java and Scala to provide oversight and guidance to technical teams and facilitate technological decisions. The manager will be responsible for full time, contractor, and offshore staff and work collaboratively with other development leaders, quality assurance, and product management staff to deliver high quality applications on a regular schedule.
Responsibilities will include:
- Manage and drive the technical direction for multiple agile teams under your control.
- Be the Java / Scala leader in the company
- Lead with QA and product management members to deliver quality applications on time.
- Lead the agile process for your teams including project management of the teams’ activities and reporting upward to senior management
- Train and mentor staff on best technical practices
- Dive into code to assist the team with difficult issues and guidance
- Guide offshore staff to effective and efficient delivery
- Personnel management for all development staff
- Work with other staff on release coordination, management, and deployment
- Work with other managers to create and deploy consistent light weight processes
- Coordinate across the organization with for effective outcomes
What you have:
- Proven track record successfully leading development staff using an agile methodology
- Extremely strong written and verbal communication skills
- Teamwork and the ability to interact and communicate successfully with business partners, technology team, recruiting personnel, offshore, and professional services.
- Strong innovation, creativity, and problem-solving skills
- Personnel management experience over technical staff including objective setting, career path guidance, and staff performance.
- Strong experience facilitating issue intervention
- Demonstrated ability to evangelize vision and direction in a way that drives contagious staff motivation
- Experience guiding offshore and/or professional services staff
- Strong estimation skills providing accurate estimates with defined risks and planned mitigations
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate technical discussions and drive solutions forward to achieve business needs
- Ability to multi-task, context switch, and succeed in a fast paced, dynamic environment with many moving parts and a large variety of responsibilities
- Experience defining and deploying processes
- Experience in the wealth management or brokerage industry
- Bachelors or Masters in computer science or related technical field
- Developing JAVA SE (5y+)
- Experience developing in Scala
- Designing and developing services with an emphasis on REST services and message based architecture (5+ years)
- Experience developing for Postgres and SQL
- Experience developing hosted client server applications (5+ years)
- Strong object oriented design skills and producing well-engineered design
- Demonstrated ability to mentor technical staff
- Demonstrated ability to dive into code to help team with difficult issues and guidance
- Experience with developing applications for authorization and authentication
- Demonstrated experience debugging complex environments
- Ability to grasp difficult concepts, large architectures, and sophisticated designs quickly
- Strong, analytical ability to quickly debug problems and provide short & long term solutions
- Experience with configuration management including continuous integration and deployment
- PHP experience
- REACT experience
- Experience working with Jira and Confluence
- Experience with unit tests and test driven development
- Distributed computing experience in AWS, Azure, Rackspace or similar.